Document Type : Original Article(s)
Associate Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry AND Oral and Dental Diseases Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, Shahid Bahonar Hospital, Kerman, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, Ardabil, Iran
Epidemiologist, Oral and Dental Disease Research Center AND Kerman Social Determinants on Oral Health Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
BACKGROUND AND AIM: Nasal fracture is one of the most common facial fractures and the main goal of this study was evaluation of closed reduction surgery of nasal bone fractures.METHODS: Thirty six patients including 24 male and 12 female patients suffered from nasal bone fractures were treated by closed reduction method. Preoperative and postoperative computed tomographic scans were analyzed by an expert panel. Statistical methods including chi-square, Fisher's exact test and regression were used to evaluate the relationship between age, sex and type of trauma and to evaluate the efficacy of closed reduction technique.RESULTS: Type of trauma, age and sex had not any effect on closed reduction efficacy. We had 36.1% complete success rate (nearly complete anatomic reduction), 36.1% favorable success rate (acceptable non-anatomic reduction) and 27.8% absolute failure (no acceptable reduction) after treatment of nasal bone fractures by closed reduction method.CONCLUSION: Closed nasal reduction is the most commonly used technique for a fractured nose, but it has high degree of failure of treatment, so when choosing the closed reduction method for treatment of nasal bone fractures, appropriate radiography must be taken for meticulous evaluation to reducing the complications.
- Reddy LV. Nasal fractures. In: Fonseca RJ, Marciani RD, Turvey TA, Editors. Oral and maxillofacial surgery: Anesthesia and pain control, dentoalveolar surgery, practice management implant surgery. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders/Elsevier; 2009. p. 270-82.
- Rhee SC, Kim YK, Cha JH, Kang SR, Park HS. Septal fracture in simple nasal bone fracture. Plast Reconstr Surg 2004; 113(1): 45-52.
- Murray JA, Maran AG, Mackenzie IJ, Raab G. Open v closed reduction of the fractured nose. Arch Otolaryngol 1984; 110(12): 797-802.
- Mondin V, Rinaldo A, Ferlito A. Management of nasal bone fractures. Am J Otolaryngol 2005; 26(3): 181-5.
- Staffel JG. Optimizing treatment of nasal fractures. Laryngoscope 2002; 112(10): 1709-19.
- Logan M, O'Driscoll K, Masterson J. The utility of nasal bone radiographs in nasal trauma. Clin Radiol 1994; 49(3): 192-4.
- Sharon Arnovich BJ, Costello BJ. Nasal fractures: Evaluation and management. In: Fonseca RJ, Barber HD, Powers MP, Frost DE, Editors. Oral and maxillofacial trauma. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2013. p. 491-505.
- Bremke M, Wiegand S, Sesterhenn AM, Eken M, Bien S, Werner JA. Digital volume tomography in the diagnosis of nasal bone fractures. Rhinology 2009; 47(2): 126-31.
- Yabe T, Ozawa T, Sakamoto M, Ishii M. Pre-and postoperative x-ray and computed tomography evaluation in acute nasal fracture. Ann Plast Surg 2004; 53(6): 547-53.
- DeFatta RJ, Ducic Y, Adelson RT, Sabatini PR. Comparison of closed reduction alone versus primary open repair of acute nasoseptal fractures. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008; 37(4): 502-6.
- Adami Dehkordi M, Eynalghozati S, Sharifi Daloee SM, Safaie Yazdi N, Ghasem SM, Mehrpour M. The association between nasal fracture treatment outcome and its causes in Mashhad Farabi hospital. J Birjand Univ Med Sci 2011; 18(3): 217-24. [In Persian].
- Hwang K, You SH, Kim SG, Lee SI. Analysis of nasal bone fractures; a six-year study of 503 patients. J Craniofac Surg 2006; 17(2): 261-4.
- Gurkov R, Clevert D, Krause E. Sonography versus plain x rays in diagnosis of nasal fractures. Am J Rhinol 2008; 22(6): 613-6.
- Baek HJ, Kim DW, Ryu JH, Lee YJ. Identification of nasal bone fractures on conventional radiography and facial CT: Comparison of the diagnostic accuracy in different imaging modalities and analysis of interobserver reliability. Iran J Radiol 2013; 10(3): 140-7.
- Lee IS, Lee JH, Woo CK, Kim HJ, Sol YL, Song JW, et al. Ultrasonography in the diagnosis of nasal bone fractures: a comparison with conventional radiography and computed tomography. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol
- ; 273(2): 413-8.
- Ashoor AJ, Alkhars FA. Nasal bone fracture. Saudi Med J 2000; 21(5): 471-4.
- Cavalcanti AL, Melo TR. Facial and oral injuries in Brazilian children aged 5-17 years: 5-year review. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2008; 9(2): 102-4.