Document Type : Original Article(s)
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
Professor, Endodontology Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
BACKGROUND AND AIM: Evidence-based dentistry (EBD), including orthodontics, needs the availability and use of the high-quality studies. The aim of this study was to identify the level of evidence (LOE) of Iranian articles on orthodontics published in PubMed.METHODS: All the articles on orthodontics published from 2000 to 2015 in PubMed with Iran affiliations were extracted by typing orthodontics medical subject heading vocabulary in the PubMed search. Then, the study design of each article was determined followed by assigning LOE according to Oxford scale whereby systematic review and randomized clinical trial possess highest-LOE and expert opinion has lowest-LOE. Descriptive statistic indices were applied to summarize the results.RESULTS: Of all the articles, 34.6% were in-vitro, 24.3% were cross-sectional and 8% were randomized controlled trials (RCT). In terms of LOE, just 5% were level 1, whereas 45.9% were non-evidence. The number of articles with high-LOE increased from 2009 to 2015.CONCLUSION: The number of orthodontic articles published in PubMed from Iran has increased in recent years. Nonetheless, there are still deficiencies in high-LOE studies.
- American Dental Assiciation (ADA), Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry. About EBD [Online]. [cited 2016 Jan 15]; Available from: URL: http://ebd.ada.org/en/about
- Sun RL, Conway S, Zawaideh S, Niederman DR. Benchmarking the clinical orthodontic evidence on Medline. Angle Orthod 2000; 70(6): 464-70.
- Ghasemi N, Rahimi S, Shahi S, Mokhtari H. Published Articles in PubMed-indexed Journals from Tabriz University of Medical Sciences Faculty of Dentistry. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 2012; 6(4): 160-2.
- Hui J, Han Z, Geng G, Yan W, Shao P. The 100 top-cited articles in orthodontics from 1975 to 2011. Angle Orthod 2013; 83(3): 491-9.
- Primo NA, Gazzola VB, Primo BT, Tovo MF, Faraco IM, Jr. Bibliometric analysis of scientific articles published in Brazilian and international orthodontic journals over a 10-year period. Dental Press J Orthod 2014; 19(2): 56-65.
- Badri S, Akhoundi MS, Fard MJ, Momeni N, Hedayati Z, Vakili V. Orthodontic research output from Iran in international and national journals. J Dent (Tehran) 2014; 11(1): 67-74.
- Eghbal MJ, Davari AN, Asgary S. A Scientometric study of PubMed-Indexed endodontic articles: a comparison between Iran and other regional countries. Iran Endod J 2012; 7(2): 56-9.
- Sadeghi M, Shahravan A, Haghdoost AA, Asgary S, Rad M. Trend in dental research output in Iran over a period of 20 years (1990-2009). Int Dent J 2012; 62(2): 84-9.
- Papadopoulos MA. Meta-analyses and orthodontic evidence-based clinical practice in the 21 century. Open Dent J 2010; 4: 92-123.
- Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine. Levels of evidence (March 2009) [Online]. [cited 2016 Jan 15]; Available from: URL: http://www.cebm.net/oxford-centre-evidence-based-medicine-levels-evidence-march-2009/
- Sullivan D, Chung KC, Eaves FF, III, Rohrich RJ. The level of evidence pyramid: indicating levels of evidence in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery articles. Plast Reconstr Surg 2011; 128(1): 311-4.
- National Health and Medical Research Council. A guide to the development, evaluation and implementation of clinical practice guidelines. 1999 [Online]. [cited 2016]; Available from: URL: https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc /publications/attachments/cp30.pdf
- Burns PB, Rohrich RJ, Chung KC. The levels of evidence and their role in evidence-based medicine. Plast Reconstr Surg 2011; 128(1): 305-10.
- Torabinejad M, Kutsenko D, Machnick TK, Ismail A, Newton CW. Levels of evidence for the outcome of nonsurgical endodontic treatment. J Endod 2005; 31(9): 637-46.
- Isaacson RJ. Evidence-based orthodontics. Angle Orthod 2002; 72(6): iv.
- Paik S, Sechrist C, Torabinejad M. Levels of evidence for the outcome of endodontic retreatment. J Endod 2004; 30(11): 745-50.
- Shafiei L, Shahravan A. The level of evidence in two leading endodontic journals. Iran Endod J 2013; 8(1): 18-21.
- Lau SL, Samman N. Levels of evidence and journal impact factor in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007; 36(1): 1-5.
- Pandis N, Walsh T, Polychronopoulou A, Eliades T. Cluster randomized clinical trials in orthodontics: design, analysis and reporting issues. Eur J Orthod 2013; 35(5): 669-75.
- King GJ, Spiekerman CF, Greenlee GM, Huang GJ. Randomized clinical trial of interceptive and comprehensive orthodontics. J Dent Res 2012; 91(7 Suppl): 59S-64S.
- Shahravan A, Haghdoost AA. Endodontic epidemiology. Iran Endod J 2014; 9(2): 98-108.
- Asgary S, Sabbagh S, Eghbal MJ. Published Endodontic Articles in PubMed-Indexed Journals from Iran. Iran Endod J 2012; 7(1): 1-4.