Document Type : Original Article(s)
Assistant Professor, Dental Materials Research Center AND Department of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Assistant Professor, Dental Materials Research Center AND Department of Operative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Student of Dentistry, Students Research Committee, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
BACKGROUND AND AIM: Fluoride varnish as an extrinsic factor may cause discoloration in tooth-colored restorative materials. This research compared the impact of different fluoride varnishes on color change of a composite restorative material.METHODS: This laboratory experimental study was conducted on 40 specimens of flowable composite resin were divided into four groups based on the brand of applied varnishes (Durashield, Nupro, Fluorilaque, and Profluoride varnishes) (n = 10). Color measuring (ΔE) was performed using the easy shade device and according to Commission Internationale de l’Eclairage (CIE) L*a*b* system at three times: 24 hours after immersing in artificial salvia (baseline), 24 hours after fluoride varnishes application and after brushing. The amount of color changes was calculated for all of the specimens as follows: ΔE1 (difference between fluoride application-base line), ΔE2 (difference between brushing-fluoride application), and ΔE3 (difference between brushing-base line). P < 0.05 was considered as significant. Statistical analysis was performed by one-way ANOVA and post-hoc Tukey.RESULTS: The maximum and minimum color changes after applying varnishes were observed by Nupro and Profluoride, respectively. A significant difference was observed between ΔE 1 values of all types of studied varnishes (P < 0.01) except Durashield and Fluorilaque (P = 0.35). After brushing, no significant difference was shown between color change of stained specimens due to Durashield, Fluorilaque, and Nupro. There was no significant difference between ΔE 3 values of Durashield and Fluorilaque.CONCLUSION: Trends of color change after using all studied varnishes were clinically acceptable (ΔE < 3.3). Durashield, Nupro, Fluorilaque, and Profluoride varnishes can be used without adversely affecting the color of flowable composite resin.
- Tinanoff N, Kanellis MJ, Vargas CM. Current understanding of the epidemiology mechanisms, and prevention of dental caries in preschool children. Pediatr Dent 2002; 24(6): 543-51.
- Chu CH, Lo E. Uses of sodium fluoride varnish in dental practice. Ann R Australas Coll Dent Surg 2008; 19: 58-61.
- Chu CH, Lam A, Lo EC. Dentin hypersensitivity and its management. Gen Dent 2011; 59(2): 115-22.
- Choudhary P, Tandon S, Ganesh M, Mehra A. Evaluation of the remineralization potential of amorphous calcium phosphate and fluoride containing pit and fissure sealants using scanning electron microscopy. Indian J Dent Res 2012; 23(2): 157-63.
- Weinstein P, Spiekerman C, Milgrom P. Randomized equivalence trial of intensive and semiannual applications of fluoride varnish in the primary dentition. Caries Res 2009; 43(6): 484-90.
- Sarrett DC, Coletti DP, Peluso AR. The effects of alcoholic beverages on composite wear. Dent Mater 2000; 16(1): 62-7.
- Attin T, Buchalla W, Hellwig E. Effect of topical fluoride application on toothbrushing abrasion of resin composites. Dent Mater 2006; 22(4): 308-13.
- Mundim FM, Garcia LF, Pires-de-Souza FC. Effect of staining solutions and repolishing on color stability of direct composites. J Appl Oral Sci 2010; 18(3): 249-54.
- Awliya WY, Al-Alwani DJ, Gashmer ES, Al-Mandil HB. The effect of commonly used types of coffee on surface microhardness and color stability of resin-based composite restorations. Saudi Dent J 2010; 22(4): 177-81.
- Guler AU, Yilmaz F, Kulunk T, Guler E, Kurt S. Effects of different drinks on stainability of resin composite provisional restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent 2005; 94(2): 118-24.
- Bagheri R, Burrow MF, Tyas M. Influence of food-simulating solutions and surface finish on susceptibility to staining of aesthetic restorative materials. J Dent 2005; 33(5): 389-98.
- Domingos PA, Garcia PP, Oliveira AL, Palma-Dibb RG. Composite resin color stability: influence of light sources and immersion media. J Appl Oral Sci 2011; 19(3): 204-11.
- Catelan A, Briso AL, Sundfeld RH, Goiato MC, dos Santos PH. Color stability of sealed composite resin restorative materials after ultraviolet artificial aging and immersion in staining solutions. J Prosthet Dent 2011; 105(4): 236-41.
- Celik C, Yuzugullu B, Erkut S, Yamanel K. Effects of mouth rinses on color stability of resin composites. Eur J Dent 2008; 2(4): 247-53.
- Topcu FT, Sahinkesen G, Yamanel K, Erdemir U, Oktay EA, Ersahan S. Influence of different drinks on the colour stability of dental resin composites. Eur J Dent 2009; 3(1): 50-6.
- Savage B, McWhorter AG, Kerins CA, Seale NS. Preventive resin restorations: practice and billing patterns of pediatric dentists. Pediatr Dent 2009; 31(3): 210-5.
- Autio-Gold JT, Barrett AA. Effect of fluoride varnishes on color stability of esthetic restorative materials. Oper Dent 2004; 29(6): 636-41.
- Hasani-Tabatabaei M, Yassini E, Moradian S, Elmamooz N. Color stability of dental composite materials after exposure to staining solutions: A spectrophotometer analysis. The Journal of Islamic Dental Association of Iran 2009; 21(1): 69-78. [In Persian].
- Prabhakar AR, Mahantesh T, Vishwas TD, Kabaded A. Effect of surface treatment with remineralizing on the color stability and roughness of esthetic restorative materials. Rev Clin Pesq Odontol 2009; 5(1): 19-27.
- Debner T, Warren DP, Powers JM. Effects of fluoride varnish on color of esthetic restorative material. J Esthet Dent 2000; 12(3): 160-3.
- Salama FS, Schulte KM, Iseman MF, Reinhardt JW. Effects of repeated fluoride varnish application on different restorative surfaces. J Contemp Dent Pract 2006; 7(5): 54-61.