Document Type : Original Article(s)
Assistant Professor, Dental Research Center AND Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences, Hamedan, Iran
BACKGROUND AND AIM: Giant cell lesions as a group of the oral and maxillofacial lesions are common and potentially destructive. The aim of this study was to assess the frequency of oral lesions containing giant cells in a 22-year period in Isfahan Dental School, Iran.METHODS: In this epidemiological, cross-sectional, retrospective study the archive information in the Department of Oral Pathology, School of Dentistry between 1991 and 2012 was used. All information obtained from the patients records with giant cell lesions [peripheral giant cell granuloma (PGCG), central giant cell granuloma (CGCG), aneurysmal bone cyst, and Cherubism and Brown tumor] were analyzed using SPSS, chi-square test and Fisher (P < 0.050).RESULTS: Of the 8217 cases with pathology records, 591 cases (7.1%) were giant cell lesions. The most common lesion was PGCG (68.5%). The prevalence of lesions in the mandible was more than the maxilla (P = 0.039), and also the prevalence of these lesions in woman was slightly more than men (P = 0.078).CONCLUSION: The giant cell lesions were more common in women and in the mandible. They were seen more frequently in the second decade of life. Regards the results of this study, we can prevent PGCG using methods such as improvement of oral hygiene.
- Pogrel AM. The diagnosis and management of giant cell lesions of the jaws. Ann Maxillofac Surg 2012; 2(2): 102-6.
- Jaffe HL. Giant-cell reparative granuloma, traumatic bone cyst, and fibrous (fibro-oseous) dysplasia of the jawbones. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1953; 6(1): 159-75.
- Katsikeris N, Kakarantza-Angelopoulou E, Angelopoulos AP. Peripheral giant cell granuloma. Clinicopathologic study of 224 new cases and review of 956 reported cases. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1988; 17(2): 94-9.
- Adlakha VK, Chandna P, Rehani U, Rana V, Malik P. Peripheral giant cell granuloma. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2010; 28(4): 293-6.
- Kishore K, Lone PA. Peripheral giant cell granulomas of oral cavity: Our experience. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2015; 4(57): 9877-82.
- Ghimire N, Nepal P, Ghimire N. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: A case report. Journal of Chitwan Medical College 2013; 3(5): 28-30.
- Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot J. Oral and maxillofacial pathology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2008. p. 486.
- de Lange J, van den Akker HP, Klip H. Incidence and disease-free survival after surgical therapy of central giant cell granulomas of the jaw in The Netherlands: 1990-1995. Head Neck 2004; 26(9): 792-5.
- Jadu FM, Pharoah MJ, Lee L, Baker GI, Allidina A. Central giant cell granuloma of the mandibular condyle: a case report and review of the literature. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2011; 40(1): 60-4.
- Gungormus M, Akgul HM. Central giant cell granuloma of the jaws: a clinical and radiologic study. J Contemp Dent Pract 2003; 4(3): 87-97.
- Jaffe Hl, Lichtenstein L. Solitary unicameral bone cyst with emphasis on the roentgen picture, the pathologic appearance and the pathogenesis. Arch Surg 1942; 44(6): 1004-25.
- Sun ZJ, Zhao YF, Yang RL, Zwahlen RA. Aneurysmal bone cysts of the jaws: analysis of 17 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010; 68(9): 2122-8.
- Mehrotra D, Kesarwani A, Nandlal. Cherubism: case report with review of literature. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 2011; 10(1): 64-70.
- Mohajerani M, Mosalman M, Mohajerani SA, Ghorbani Z. Frequency of giant cell lesions in oral biopsies. J Dent Tehran Univ Med Sci 2009; 6(4): 193-7.
- Tandon PN, Gupta SK, Gupta DS, Jurel SK, Saraswat A. Peripheral giant cell granuloma. Contemp Clin Dent 2012; 3(Suppl 1): S118-S121.
- GÃ¼mÃ¼Åok M, Ãzle M, SeÃ§kin A, Okur B, Museyibov F, ÃÃ§ok Ã, et al. Multiple large peripheral giant cell granuloma: A case report. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 119(3): e117.
- Mullapudi SV, Putcha UK, Boindala S. Odontogenic tumors and giant cell lesions of jaws--a nine year study. World J Surg Oncol 2011; 9: 68.
- Shadman N, Ebrahimi SF, Jafari S, Eslami M. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: a review of 123 cases. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2009; 6(1): 47-50.
- Flaitz CM. Peripheral giant cell granuloma: a potentially aggressive lesion in children. Pediatr Dent 2000; 22(3): 232-3.
- Motamedi MH, Eshghyar N, Jafari SM, Lassemi E, Navi F, Abbas FM, et al. Peripheral and central giant cell granulomas of the jaws: a demographic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007; 103(6): e39-e43.
- Farrier SL, Farrier JN, Smart MK, Nash ES. A 10-year review of the occurrence and treatment of central giant cell granulomas, in a District General Hospital. J Oral Pathol Med 2006; 35(6): 332-7.
- Salum FG, Yurgel LS, Cherubini K, De Figueiredo MA, Medeiros IC, Nicola FS. Pyogenic granuloma, peripheral giant cell granuloma and peripheral ossifying fibroma: retrospective analysis of 138 cases. Minerva Stomatol 2008; 57(5): 227-32.
- Zhang W, Chen Y, An Z, Geng N, Bao D. Reactive gingival lesions: a retrospective study of 2,439 cases. Quintessence Int 2007; 38(2): 103-10.
- de Lange J, van den Akker HP. Clinical and radiological features of central giant-cell lesions of the jaw. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2005; 99(4): 464-70.
- Chaparro-Avendano AV, Berini-Aytes L, Gay-Escoda C. Peripheral giant cell granuloma. A report of five cases and review of the literature. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2005; 10(1): 53-7.
- Whitaker SB, Waldron CA. Central giant cell lesions of the jaws. A clinical, radiologic, and histopathologic study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1993; 75(2): 199-208.
- Reddy V1, Saxena S, Aggarwal P, Sharma P, Reddy M. Incidence of central giant cell granuloma of the jaws with clinical and histological confirmation: an archival study in Northern India. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012; 50(7): 668-72.
- Lopez-Arcas Calleja JM, Cebrian Carretero JL, Gonzalez MJ, Burgueno M. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandible: case presentation and review of the literature. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2007; 12(5): E401-E403.
- Hillerup S, Hjorting-Hansen E. Aneurysmal bone cyst--simple bone cyst, two aspects of the same pathologic entity? Int J Oral Surg 1978; 7(1): 16-22.
- Panoutsakopoulos G, Pandis N, Kyriazoglou I, Gustafson P, Mertens F, Mandahl N. Recurrent t(16;17)(q22;p13) in aneurysmal bone cysts. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 1999; 26(3): 265-6.
- Dal CP, Kozakewich HP, Goumnerova L, Mankin HJ, Rosenberg AE, Fletcher JA. Variant translocations involving 16q22 and 17p13 in solid variant and extraosseous forms of aneurysmal bone cyst. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2000; 28(2): 233-4.
- Gadre KS, Zubairy RA. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the mandibular condyle: report of a case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000; 58(4): 439-43.
- Emin AH, Suoglu Y, Demir D, Karatay MC. Normocalcemic hyperparathyroidism presented with mandibular brown tumor: report of a case. Auris Nasus Larynx 2004; 31(3): 299-304.
- Selvi F, Cakarer S, Tanakol R, Guler SD, Keskin C. Brown tumour of the maxilla and mandible: a rare complication of tertiary hyperparathyroidism. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2009; 38(1): 53-8.
- Hyckel P, Berndt A, Schleier P, Clement JH, Beensen V, Peters H, et al. Cherubism - new hypotheses on pathogenesis and therapeutic consequences. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2005; 33(1): 61-8.
- Meng XM, Yu SF, Yu GY. Clinicopathologic study of 24 cases of cherubism. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2005; 34(4): 350-6.
- Kauzman A, Li SQ, Bradley G, Bell RS, Wunder JS, Kandel R. Central giant cell granuloma of the jaws: assessment of cell cycle proteins. J Oral Pathol Med 2004; 33(3): 170-6.