Document Type : Review Article(s)
PhD Candidate, Department of Health Information Management, School of Allied Medical Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Professor, Department of Health Information Management, School of Allied Medical Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Oral Medicine AND Dental Research Center, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor, School of Medicine, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Health Information Management, School of Allied Medical Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
BACKGROUND AND AIM: Oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) is a rapidly progressive disease and despite the progress in the treatment of cancer, remains a life-threatening illness with a poor prognosis. Diagnostic techniques of the oral cavity are not painful, non-invasive, simple and inexpensive methods. Clinical decision support systems (CDSSs) are the most important diagnostic technologies used to help health professionals to analyze patients’ data and make decisions. This paper, by studying CDSS applications in the process of providing care for the cancer patients, has looked into the CDSS potentials in OSCC diagnosis.METHODS: We retrieved relevant articles indexed in MEDLINE/PubMed database using high-quality keywords. First the title and then the abstract of the related articles were reviewed in the step of screening. Only research articles which had designed clinical decision support system in different stages of providing care for the cancer patient were retained in this study according to the input criteria.RESULTS: Various studies have been conducted about the important roles of CDSS in health processes related to different types of cancer. According to the aim of studies, we categorized them into several groups including treatment, diagnosis, risk assessment, screening, and survival estimation.CONCLUSION: Successful experiences in the field of CDSS applications in different types of cancer have indicated that machine learning methods have a high potential to manage the data and diagnostic improvement in OSCC intelligently and accurately.
- Krishna Rao SV, Mejia G, Roberts-Thomson K, Logan R. Epidemiology of oral cancer in Asia in the past decade-an update (2000-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2013; 14(10): 5567-77.
- Sahebjamee M, Mansourian A, Etemad-Moghadam S, Shamshiri AR, Derakhshan S. Conventional versus Papanicolaou-stained cytobrush biopsy in the diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Health Dent Manag 2014; 13(3): 619-22.
- Durr ML, van Zante A, Li D, Kezirian EJ, Wang SJ. Oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma in never-smokers: Analysis of clinicopathologic characteristics and survival. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2013; 149(1): 89-96.
- Soudry E, Preis M, Hod R, Hamzany Y, Hadar T, Bahar G, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue in patients younger than 30 years: Clinicopathologic features and outcome. Clin Otolaryngol 2010; 35(4): 307-12.
- Carreras-Torras C, Gay-Escoda C. Techniques for early diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma: Systematic review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2015; 20(3): e305-e315.
- Cheng YS, Rees T, Wright J. Updates regarding diagnostic adjuncts for oral squamous cell carcinoma. Tex Dent J 2015; 132(8): 538-49.
- Tian X, Chen Z, Shi S, Wang X, Wang W, Li N, et al. Clinical diagnostic implications of body fluid MiRNA in oral squamous cell carcinoma: A meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015; 94(37): e1324.
- Mendonca EA. Clinical decision support systems: Perspectives in dentistry. J Dent Educ 2004; 68(6): 589-97.
- Lee SJ, Lee S, Lim J, Ahn SJ, Kim TW. Cluster analysis of tooth size in subjects with normal occlusion. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007; 132(6): 796-800.
- Hwang HS, Youn IS, Lee KH, Lim HJ. Classification of facial asymmetry by cluster analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007; 132(3): 279-6.
- de Veld DC, Skurichina M, Witjes MJ, Duin RP, Sterenborg DJ, Star WM, et al. Autofluorescence characteristics of healthy oral mucosa at different anatomical sites. Lasers Surg Med 2003; 32(5): 367-76.
- Saudi H. A periodontal expert system as an aid in periodontal treatment planning. Egypt Dent J 2002; 48: 1087.
- Shankarapillai R, Mathur K, Nair MA, Rai N, Mathur A. Periodontitis risk assessment using two artificial neural networks-a pilot study. International Journal of Dental Clinics 2010; 2(4): 36-40.
- Allahverdi N, Akcan T. A Fuzzy Expert System design for diagnosis of periodontal dental disease. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Application of Information and Communication Technologies (AICT); 2011 Oct 12-14; Baku, Azerbaijan.
- Yagi M, Ohno H, Takada K. Decision-making system for orthodontic treatment planning based on direct implementation of expertise knowledge. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2010; 2010: 2894-7.
- Pegon-Machat E, Decerle N, Tubert-Jeannin S. Development and evaluation of a triage tool for patients in a dental emergency unit. Sante Publique 2015; 27(1): 79-88. [In French].
- Thanathornwong B, Suebnukarn S, Ouivirach K. Decision support system for predicting color change after tooth whitening. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 2016; 125: 88-93.
- Welch BM, Kawamoto K. Clinical decision support for genetically guided personalized medicine: a systematic review. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2013; 20(2): 388-400.
- Abernethy AP, Samsa GP, Matchar DB. A clinical decision and economic analysis model of cancer pain management. Am J Manag Care 2003; 9(10): 651-64.
- Finlayson SG, Levy M, Reddy S, Rubin DL. Toward rapid learning in cancer treatment selection: An analytical engine for practice-based clinical data. J Biomed Inform 2016; 60: 104-13.
- Mi H, Petitjean C, Dubray B, Vera P, Ruan S. Robust feature selection to predict tumor treatment outcome. Artif Intell Med 2015; 64(3): 195-204.
- Cakir A, Demirel B. A software tool for determination of breast cancer treatment methods using data mining approach. J Med Syst 2011; 35(6): 1503-11.
- Bury J, Hurt C, Roy A, Bradburn M, Cross S, Fox J, et al. A quantitative and qualitative evaluation of LISA, a decision support system for chemotherapy dosing in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Stud Health Technol Inform 2004; 107(Pt 1): 197-201.
- Gerbert B, Bronstone A, Maurer T, Hofmann R, Berger T. Decision support software to help primary care physicians triage skin cancer: A pilot study. Arch Dermatol 2000; 136(2): 187-92.
- Emery J, Morris H, Goodchild R, Fanshawe T, Prevost AT, Bobrow M, et al. The GRAIDS Trial: A cluster randomised controlled trial of computer decision support for the management of familial cancer risk in primary care. Br J Cancer 2007; 97(4): 486-93.
- Ozanne EM, Howe R, Omer Z, Esserman LJ. Development of a personalized decision aid for breast cancer risk reduction and management. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2014; 14: 4.
- Javan Amoli AH, Maserat E, Safdari R, Zali MR. Electronic Risk Assessment System as an Appropriate Tool for the Prevention of Cancer: A Qualitative Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2015; 16(18): 8595-8.
- Shelton JB, Ochotorena L, Bennett C, Shekelle P, Kwan L, Skolarus T, et al. Reducing PSA-based prostate cancer screening in men aged 75 years and older with the use of highly specific computerized clinical decision support. J Gen Intern Med 2015; 30(8): 1133-9.
- Hills RL, Kulbok PA, Clark M. Evaluating a quality improvement program for cervical cancer screening at an urban safety net clinic. Health Promot Pract 2015; 16(5): 631-41.
- Maserat E, Seied Farajollah SS, Safdari R, Ghazisaeedi M, Aghdaei HA, Zali MR. Information engineering and workflow design in a clinical decision support system for colorectal cancer screening in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2015; 16(15): 6605-8.
- Lundin J, Lundin M, Isola J, Joensuu H. Evaluation of a web-based system for survival estimation in breast cancer. Stud Health Technol Inform 2003; 95: 788-93.
- Sidiropoulos K, Glotsos D, Kostopoulos S, Ravazoula P, Kalatzis I, Cavouras D, et al. Real time decision support system for diagnosis of rare cancers, trained in parallel, on a graphics processing unit. Comput Biol Med 2012; 42(4): 376-86.
- Exarchos KP, Goletsis Y, Fotiadis DI. A multiscale and multiparametric approach for modeling the progression of oral cancer. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 2012; 12: 136.
- Nguyen AN, Lawley MJ, Hansen DP, Bowman RV, Clarke BE, Duhig EE, et al. Symbolic rule-based classification of lung cancer stages from free-text pathology reports. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2010; 17(4): 440-5.
- Nguyen AN, De J, Nguyen J, Padula A, Qu Z. A teaching database for diagnosis of hematologic neoplasms using immunophenotyping by flow cytometry. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2008; 132(5): 829-37.
- Righi LV. Oncotherapy: A system for requesting chemotherapy protocols. Stud Health Technol Inform 2015; 216: 1121.
- Yilmaz AA, Ozdemir L. Development and implementation of the clinical decision support system for patients with cancer and nurses' experiences regarding the system. Int J Nurs Knowl 2017; 28(1): 4-12.
- Abrantes D, Pimentel-Nunes P, Dinis-Ribeiro M, Coimbra M. Identifying technology interaction opportunities within a gastroenterology exam room. Stud Health Technol Inform 2015; 210: 652-6.
- Al-Kadi OS. A multiresolution clinical decision support system based on fractal model design for classification of histological brain tumours. Comput Med Imaging Graph 2015; 41: 67-79.
- Bountris P, Haritou M, Pouliakis A, Margari N, Kyrgiou M, Spathis A, et al. An intelligent clinical decision support system for patient-specific predictions to improve cervical intraepithelial neoplasia detection. Biomed Res Int 2014; 2014: 341483.
- Rasoolimoghadam M, Safdari R, Ghazisaeidi M, Maharanitehrani M, Tahmasebiyan S. Designing decision support system to detect drug interactions type 2 diabetes. Acta Inform Med 2015; 23(6): 336-8.
- Walker JG, Licqurish S, Chiang PP, Pirotta M, Emery JD. Cancer risk assessment tools in primary care: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Ann Fam Med 2015; 13(5): 480-9.
- Exarchos KP, Goletsis Y, Fotiadis DI. Multiparametric decision support system for the prediction of oral cancer reoccurrence. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 2012; 16(6): 1127-34.
- Kourou K, Exarchos TP, Exarchos KP, Karamouzis MV, Fotiadis DI. Machine learning applications in cancer prognosis and prediction. Comput Struct Biotechnol J 2015; 13: 8-17.
- Ayer T, Alagoz O, Chhatwal J, Shavlik JW, Kahn CE, Jr., Burnside ES. Breast cancer risk estimation with artificial neural networks revisited: Discrimination and calibration. Cancer 2010; 116(14): 3310-21.
- Park K, Ali A, Kim D, An Y, Kim M, Shin H. Robust predictive model for evaluating breast cancer survivability. Eng Appl Artif Intell 2013; 26(9): 2194-205.
- Holt TA, Thorogood M, Griffiths F, Munday S, Friede T, Stables D. Automated electronic reminders to facilitate primary cardiovascular disease prevention: Randomised controlled trial. Br J Gen Pract 2010; 60(573): e137-e143.
- Gilutz H, Novack L, Shvartzman P, Zelingher J, Bonneh DY, Henkin Y, et al. Computerized community cholesterol control (4C): Meeting the challenge of secondary prevention. Isr Med Assoc J 2009; 11(1): 23-9.
- Hanahan D, Weinberg RA. The hallmarks of cancer. Cell 2000; 100(1): 57-70.
- Hanahan D, Weinberg RA. Hallmarks of cancer: The next generation. Cell 2011; 144(5): 646-74.
- Pasini FS, Maistro S, Snitcovsky I, Barbeta LP, Rotea Mangone FR, Lehn CN, et al. Four-gene expression model predictive of lymph node metastases in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Acta Oncol 2012; 51(1): 77-85.
- Fang L, Sun L, Hu FF, Chen QE. Effects of FasL expression in oral squamous cell cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2013; 14(1): 281-5.
- Randhawa V, Acharya V. Integrated network analysis and logistic regression modeling identify stage-specific genes in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma. BMC Med Genomics 2015; 8: 39.
- Tang XH, Urvalek AM, Osei-Sarfo K, Zhang T, Scognamiglio T, Gudas LJ. Gene expression profiling signatures for the diagnosis and prevention of oral cavity carcinogenesis-genome-wide analysis using RNA-seq technology. Oncotarget 2015; 6(27): 24424-35.
- Jiang Q, Yu YC, Ding XJ, Luo Y, Ruan H. Bioinformatics analysis reveals significant genes and pathways to target for oral squamous cell carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2014; 15(5): 2273-8.
- Liu Y, Liu CX, Wu ZT, Ge L, Zhou HM. Mining proteins associated with oral squamous cell carcinoma in complex networks. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2013; 14(8): 4621-5.
- Mehrotra R, Gupta DK. Exciting new advances in oral cancer diagnosis: Avenues to early detection. Head Neck Oncol 2011; 3: 33.
- Quaglini S, Sacchi L, Lanzola G, Viani N. Personalization and patient involvement in decision support systems: current trends. Yearb Med Inform 2015; 10(1): 106-18.
- Mertz E, Bolarinwa O, Wides C, Gregorich S, Simmons K, Vaderhobli R, et al. Provider attitudes toward the implementation of clinical decision support tools in dental practice. J Evid Based Dent Pract 2015; 15(4): 152-63.
- Meulendijk MC, Spruit MR, Willeboordse F, Numans ME, Brinkkemper S, Knol W, et al. Efficiency of clinical decision support systems improves with experience. J Med Syst 2016; 40(4): 76.
- Kesselheim AS, Cresswell K, Phansalkar S, Bates DW, Sheikh A. Clinical decision support systems could be modified to reduce 'alert fatigue' while still minimizing the risk of litigation. Health Aff (Millwood) 2011; 30(12): 2310-7.
- Mohammadzadeh N, Safdari R, Baraani A, Mohammadzadeh F. Intelligent data analysis: The best approach for chronic heart failure (CHF) follow up management. Acta Inform Med 2014; 22(4): 263-7.
- Safdari R, Kadivar M, Langarizadeh M, Nejad AF, Kermani F. Developing a Fuzzy Expert System to predict the risk of neonatal death. Acta Inform Med 2016; 24(1): 34-7.